Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Follow-up to lead problems

1. I didn't find it at the table, but on later consideration I think DA as Pretender suggests is clearly the best shot, trying for a simple path to 4 tricks. It does clear up a guess when partner has Jxx, but so be it. This was the winning lead at the table. Even though declarer had only 3 diamonds (6=3=3=1) and can pitch the third, your trumps are promotable when partner turns up with Jx and the HA.

2. I led the CQ, and clubs were the only losing lead. I still think maybe it was normal, but perhaps there is a good reason to make a different guess. Mojo, why is a heart so obvious?

4 comments:

The Pretender said...

After thinking about the first hand a little more, I don't think there's any other way to take 4 def tricks if you don't lead the diamond. Assuming partner doesn't have an ace and you mangle the diamond suit (for the diamond lead not to work), it still sounds like they will have 4 spades 2 diamonds and very likely 4 tricks in the rounded suits.

As for 2, what were the actual hands? Was the club lead a losing lead because it gave up a trick or was it because you had to establish a heart trick?

Jonathan Weinstein said...

On 2, dummy had Q AKJ Axxxx KT9x, declarer had AKJxxxx xxx Qx x

The club is a loser because it is clear for him to try ruffing out the club, which works as does the heart hook for 12 tricks. On a heart lead he probably goes down; a diamond beats it by force.

In practice, after my CQ held trick 1, I tried another club just in case it cashes, with the consideration that partner's CA can be ruffed out anyway. *But* I see now that declarer would have had an interesting choice if I switch passively; he can lead the CK from dummy on the third round and try for a transfer squeeze (playing me for DK.) Then again, he would have seen partner's count signal...

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

Do you mind posting further general thoughts on leading Ax against 4 of a major? The frequency of my attempts at such heroics is well ahead of the success rate. What are good circumstances to try such a line of attack?

Cheers,
Alex

Jonathan Weinstein said...

Alex,

I don't know in general, but having the A of trumps plus few other high cards must be the best possible case! If you like Ax leads anyway, I guess you wouldn't have missed this one. I usually dismiss A leads pretty quickly, too quickly I guess, but Ax will be on my list of considerations from now on.