Sunday, August 9, 2009

An appealing hand (no pun this time)

Here’s a bidding problem that came up in the Open Swiss. I thought my tempo was a potential issue – for the information it might give the opponents as well as the UI it might give partner -- so you might want to take the following approach: first decide in 5-10 seconds what you would do if you think it’s important to bid in tempo, then consider if you might revise your action given unlimited time. That’s how we ultimately progress towards making the right bid at the table, in tempo, right? I’ll post my thoughts and the story later.

You pick up KT9xxx ---- AKQJxx x (not bad) and are dealer, red/white, so you open 1S. Lefty (Dan Morse) bids 2S, partner passes, and righty (Nagy Kamel) bids 4C (pass or correct). Let’s assume you bid 4D – then lefty bids 5C, partner chimes in with 5S, and righty bids 6C. Your move?

3 comments:

Franco said...

My 5-10 second instinct is to bid
6D. Further thought leads me to prefer 6S.

No action over 2S, then a free 5S bid? Partner must have some length and a bad hand.

Nigel Kearney said...

Would not consider anything other than 6S.

I spent most of my 5-10 seconds thinking about lead directional issues then realizing I am on lead :)

Becker said...

My instinct was 6 spades, but after a little more thought I considered 6 diamonds. after some more thought, what about doubling and leading a low diamond to partner's hoped-for 10 for a heart ruff? Getting a little sick, I should have stuck with my first instinct!